
A Secretive Embassy on British Soil – Will the Government Let It Happen?
The Chinese government has rejected a formal request from Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner to explain why key parts of its proposed “mega-embassy” in central London remain redacted, escalating tensions over the highly sensitive planning application.
China plans to build its largest embassy in Europe at Royal Mint Court, an historic five-acre site opposite the Tower of London.
But parts of the design, including several internal layouts and basement areas, remain hidden from UK officials under the label of “security reasons”.
Rayner, who also serves as Housing Secretary, had given Beijing two weeks to provide a full explanation. That deadline has now passed, and China has flatly refused to provide any further information, arguing that it has already submitted sufficient detail.
The embassy’s planning agent, DP9, stated in writing that it was “neither necessary nor appropriate” to release more detailed internal layout plans. It said the submitted material “is entirely consistent with established planning norms”.
The refusal has prompted national security concerns, as the complex includes multiple basement levels near key British infrastructure, raising fears the site could be used for intelligence-gathering.
Rayner has now postponed her final decision on whether to approve the development until October 21, six weeks later than initially planned.
Concerns Mount Over Hidden Facilities
The Chinese embassy project has been surrounded by controversy since it was first submitted. Plans for the site were originally rejected by Tower Hamlets Council following strong local opposition. Since then, concerns have grown that the facility could be used for espionage.
It has been reported that some rooms within the design are redacted with no declared purpose. One senior security source told The Sunday Times earlier this year: “If you can’t say what a basement room is for, it’s probably a server room, or something more serious.”
China’s refusal to explain the redactions comes despite direct requests from Rayner’s department on August 6 to “identify precisely and comprehensively” what had been removed from the public documents and why.
In response, DP9 confirmed that five drawings remained unchanged, stating the information shown was already enough to determine the use of principal rooms.
The firm also cited legal advice from King’s Counsel barrister Christopher Katkowski, who argued it would be “entirely lawful” for the UK Government to make a decision based on the current submissions.
Cross-Party Pressure to Block the Embassy
Opposition to the mega-embassy spans the political spectrum. Senior Conservative MP Chris Philp said: “We should not be giving permission to this. China has already run illegal police stations in Britain and put bounties on dissidents.”
Security services have also previously raised concerns about the location, just minutes from the City of London and close to critical communications infrastructure. The White House has also reportedly expressed its alarm, warning the UK not to grant China “potential access to sensitive communications” within its capital.
The Chinese government continues to insist the project is a standard diplomatic facility. In statements, it has denied all suggestions of espionage or ulterior motives, calling them “baseless”.
But critics say the scale and secrecy surrounding the project raise legitimate questions.
Luke de Pulford, director of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China, said: “This is an insult to Angela Rayner and shows extraordinary arrogance from Beijing. She asked for clarity, and China refused outright.”
What Happens Next?
The final decision on whether the Chinese embassy can go ahead now rests with Ms Rayner. Her delay has bought time, but not reassurance.
Local authorities, national security advisers, and a growing number of MPs are urging the government to halt the project unless China offers full transparency.
For now, the fate of what could become one of the most strategically sensitive buildings in the UK remains undecided.
What do you think?
Should China be allowed to build a secretive embassy in the heart of our capital without disclosing its full plans?
Main Photo: Julie Cookson / The old Royal Mint building / CC BY-SA 2.0
Comments (0)